"Now if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up. It is always tired in the morning, noon, and night. But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired." - George S. Patton

Friday, February 19, 2010

Things that are new... sort of

Aloha everyone.

I have decided I need to find a team. My friend, Lacey is part of what I think you call, Team In Training.. or something. They do races for Leukemia and Lymphoma. It seems to me, if I am going to be doing all of this running, I may as well raise some money for folks. I also got a flyer in the mail for the Psoriasis walk. I am not a huge walking enthusiast, but I myself suffer from the crap hole that is psoriasis.. so I am probably going to do that one.
More and more everyday I am realizing that I really can do this. The more I read, the more stories I hear, the more pictures I see get me so pumped up. Also, in my current book I have learned that you don't HAVE to run the entire time. You can say, run 5 miles and then walk for a minute, walk 5 miles, walk for a minute.. and so on. That makes it all seem much more doable. I didn't run last night, as Aunt Flo made an terribly painful and unexpected visit.. she is still here but I am going to some cross training this evening anyhoo.

For those more experienced runners (we will pretend for blog's sake an experienced runner is actually reading this), while running a marathon or a half marathon.. how often do you stop, slow down, and start back up again? I am curious.

I am going to recommend one more time, the book I am reading, The Non-Runner's Marathon Guide For Women by Dawn Dais. It is a wonder.

Until we meet again!

Dawn Dais on pacing yourself: "I've found a pace at which I can run eleven miles and not die. That's a good pace for me. There's one thing wrong with it, though. When you're running a pace similar to that of an eighty-year-old asthamatic woman with a wooden leg, pretty much everyone else who is running or walking or riding a bike will pass you. I'm okay with being passed. What I have difficulty with is the number of asses I see as I'm being passed."

No comments:

Post a Comment