"Now if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up. It is always tired in the morning, noon, and night. But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired." - George S. Patton

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The first race...

My first 5k was on Saturday morning. I studied up and made sure I did everything I could to prepare for the big event, and everything seemed to go wrong. The night before the race, I went out to dinner with friends, and passed on anything that might dehydrate me. I went to bed early in hopes of getting lots of rest so I would feel great for the race, and I went over what I thought was the route of the race about 100 times.

The meal I had for dinner was way too fatty and bloating. I woke up Saturday morning and I looked and felt like I was 6 months pregnant. My daughter caught the flu, and ended up throwing up all night so I think I got about 2 hours of sleep total. I figured my sheer adrenaline would still get me through the run with no problem, until we got to the starting line and I realized I had been studying the wrong map. The course had tons of hills. I have yet to train on hills. Oh man. Also, let's not forget that I had a terrible cold and a low grade fever to boot.

I ran the race. I finished the race. I still, despite all of the elements trying to bring me down, had an amazing time. I was so proud of myself (and my fellow novice running partner, Lisa ) that I seemed to forget everything that went wrong. I even shed a small tear or two after I crossed the finish line.

I am so excited to choose and sign up for my next race, I can barely contain myself. I am also pretty excited to train on some hills. I can't believe I haven't done it yet. This was definetly a learning experience, but it's about the journey, not the destination, right? Right.

See you all at the 10k!

P.S. My daughter and I are both feeling much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment