"Now if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up. It is always tired in the morning, noon, and night. But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired." - George S. Patton

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Run in the sun

In Washington we don't often see warm days, well in April we don't. Today, the weather was beautiful and it was another 4 miler for me. I wont sugar coat this, it sucked. I ran pretty much the entire time. I think I had to stop and walk for about 40 seconds one time but don't think I didn't want to stop the ENTIRE time. That is the beauty in running away from home. The only way to get back is to run back.

I felt like I was going to hyperventilate and I was sweating so so bad. For once, I don't think I enjoyed this run at all.

I also learned something about myself. Really, I'm an optimist. I annoy folks with my optimism sometimes. When I run, I am about the most pessimistic person around. The whole time, my thoughts sound a lot like, "What am I doing? I ate too much and can't do this. I am too fat to run. I'm going to have a spontaneous heart attack and explode right here, on East Main." It is pathetic, really.

So I got home and started reading articles about this mind over matter stuff. Apparently, if my brain tells my ass to get in gear, I can run like, 100 miles. We will see.

Check it out if you have the same problem!
Runner's World.

Tomorrow is just a stretching and strengthening day. Thank God. While we are talking about God, can we all pray for lots and lots of 50 degree days with a light mist of rain for the upcoming weeks? I have a lot of miles to run.. and would really appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment