"Now if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up. It is always tired in the morning, noon, and night. But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired." - George S. Patton

Monday, September 27, 2010

Running for More Than Great Looking Calf Muscles

One of the greatest things about being part of races, is knowing that not only is training and racing fun, but most races support a cause. There are also groups like Team in Training where you can train with a fun group of folks at no cost, and raise a certain dollar amount to go towards The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Groups like this are a great option.

I wanted to join a fund raising/training group earlier in the year when I was training for my half-marathon, but thought as a stay-at-home mom, I don't get a lot of exposure to anyone with income exceding say...$5.00 a week for allowance. I figured it might be kind of hard for me to raise a set dollar amount. Then my friend, Alissa showed me something.

Alissa Tucci's grandmother had a major stroke on September 21st, 2009. Life has never been the same for her entire family and she wanted to do something to help more families dealing with the effects of stroke and help fund it's research. Like me, Alissa is a stay-at-home mom and on a pretty tight budget. She decided on her own, in her grandmother's honor, to set up a website for people to donate to the American Stroke Association. She has set a personal goal of $1,000 and is trying to reach it before she runs her first ever half-marathon in Seattle this November.

For me, I think it's great to know there are options for people trying to raise money for their own personal causes, and set their own monetary goals. It's just something to think about for the next time you want to cross a finish line.

If you want to donate to Alissa's fundraiser just click here:
American Stroke Association

No comments:

Post a Comment