"Now if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up. It is always tired in the morning, noon, and night. But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired." - George S. Patton

Friday, September 24, 2010

My Fifteen Minutes of Fame

So if you are cruising by your local newsstand and pass by a Fitness Magazine with a picture of a hot brunette on the cover in a bikini, that's me! Okay... I'm lying... but if you open up the magazine and turn to page 18 I am featured in the "I did it" column! It's funny because I still won't feel like I've done it, until I cross the finish line after 26.2 miles, but apparently to some people 13.1 miles are just as exciting! Here is a picture of the little article and I've attached my original interview with the folks over there at Fitness! :)

Photobucket

What inspired you to start your journey towards a healthier lifestyle?
Well, firstly, I was tired. Tired of being fat, tired of being depressed, and tired of being tired. At 25 years old, I literally had given up on myself because I was so focused on my family and thought I didn't matter anymore. About the time I set up an appointment with my doctor to get back on anti-depressants, I came across a picture of an old high school friend. She just had her second son, and looked happier and healthier than she did when we were 16. Her facebook photos were full of pictures of her crossing finish lines and holding medals. That got the wheels turning.

How many kids have you had? Did you previously bounce back quickly after having your children?
I have had 3 kids, ages 6,3 and 8 months old. I don't even know what "bounce back" means. There was no bouncing back. With my first daughter I went from a lean 135 lbs to over 200lbs. With Tae Bo and calorie counting, over a year I lost most of it.. only to gain it back, lose some, gain it back, lose some.. etc. After my second daughter, I had terrible post partum depression and I think I only lost 20 lbs of that weight before getting pregnant again with my son a few years later. With him I tipped the scales at close to 230 lbs. I'm only 5'6. I started what I call "the change" two months after having him.

Had you tried to run long distances in the past?
Never. I honestly don't think I had ever run further than 6 consecutive blocks in a row before I started training. I remember the first time I ran a full mile without stopping. I could barely walk afterwards, but my sense of pride was immeasurable. Even in high school, I ate Taco bell and only did the required aerobics class to some how keep my figure.

What effects did your running and weight loss have on other parts of your life? (Such as on your family members)
Well, as someone who has suffered from depression, self doubt, and some less than supportive family members, at first it was mostly negative feedback. My husband was a little bit upset that I was changing the family's evening routine and he would have to prepare some dinners (on my long runs) or bathe the kids. One family member actually told me I was "too big" to run and it wasn't safe or healthy. I just kept my head up and kept trucking. Everyone started warming up to the idea as the pounds started rapidly dropping, and as the mileage was adding up. After I crossed the finish at my half marathon, I saw nothing but smiles and pride from my family. The best part was the look on my children's faces to see me cross, and my husband asking when the next race was, because he would also like to start training.

What was the most difficult part about the experience for you?
Overcoming my own demons. I would be on mile 3 of an 8 mile run and my inner dialogue would sound a lot like " you really are too fat for this. You can't really run 8 miles, you look awful while you are doing this". I really had to teach myself that I am, in fact, awesome. I had to learn that there is no reason why other people can acheive their goals and I can't. The hardest part of changing my life, was changing my attitude towards myself and start believing that I too, can do something awesome.

How do you/did you stay on track with your running program and weight loss lifestyle when it was getting difficult or temptations arose?
Blogging helped a lot. A few times a week, I would get online and update my imaginary readers on my progress. I would just tell myself that there has to be some woman out there in my same situation wondering if they can do something great for themselves. How could I let that woman down? Also, deep inside, I knew I had to prove people wrong about me. I had to prove that a fat girl, with three babies and a husband to take care of, can still have a life. Shoot, I had to prove that to myself.

Have you had a support system along the way? If so, who?
I know it's cliche, but I have the most amazing friends on the planet. Since the day I declared I would run a half marathon (and eventually a marathon) they have stood by me, asked about my progress, and believed in me. It took a little convincing, but as soon as my husband realized this was the real deal, he was the greatest support system. If I decided to bag out on a run one day, he would say " Do you want to finish that race? Get your butt up and go running" and I would. It was helpful on my long runs to know when I walked in the door, my husband would ask how many miles, and I could look at him and say, "10" and watch his face light up.

Do you have any plans for the future launching off your successes?
Well now that I truely understand that I can do ANYHING, the possibilities are endless. I still have about 25 lbs to lose and a Full Marathon goal in the future, but I would also love to coach other people to the finish line. I love to write and would love to find a way to reach out to more women who think their life is over after having kids and forget to live for themselves. I feel like I have had such an amazing, life changing experience and it is my duty to show other women that they can do anything.

6 comments:

  1. Great interview! One part that struck me was someone telling you running was bad for you. I get that quite a bit. WTF? Anyway, keep it up, both the running and the writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. U TOTALLY ROCK KRISTINA!!! WOO!!! U bring a tear to my eye, While I have yet to reach my running goals, I can relate to the journey of weight loss and becoming fit. The Pride of making it happen and learning to believe in myself! U WILL CROSS THAT FINISH LINE and MANY MORE!! YOU GO GIRL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's about so much more than "getting skinny" or running a certain number of miles. It's about showing people who doubt themselves that anything is possible! You get em girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um, just to let you know, I was that woman that you were talking about. In a mirror situation to yourself with the husband, kids, weight, depression, wanting to do something great. I will never be able to tell you enough how much your blog inspired me and made me believe I could do something, and here I am now, less than a month away from my own half marathon. So thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great artical. So proud of you.

    ReplyDelete