"Now if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up. It is always tired in the morning, noon, and night. But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired." - George S. Patton

Monday, February 21, 2011

The Beginning of Marathon Training

Oh Dear Lord. 26.2 miles. Twenty-six point two. Miles.

I can do this, right? Well it is officially 18 weeks until my big day. Technically my Hal Higdon training schedule doesn't require me to do any running until Tuesday this week, but I thought I might get a jump on things yesterday. Can we say disaster? I ran two miles. Just the two. I bought new running shoes and it was my first time breaking them in, so I blame ASICS for my poor performance mostly. They should make pre-worn-in shoes. I also blame cottage cheese and Triscuit crackers for my 15 pound weight gain that seems to be slowing me down quite a bit. Furthermore, I blame polution, the city of Puyallup (for hilly sidewalks), and oh.. just for the heck of it, I blame you. The fact that I was huffing and puffing after running half of a mile couldn't possibly be due to the fact that I've been running about once a week (on average) for the last two months.

Anyhoo, I'll take my terrible run yesterday with a grain of salt and hit 'er hard again this evening. I mean, I have to be (at least) able to hit the 5k mark without feeling like I need a stretcher, right? Maybe it was just a bad day.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Christina, I love your blog and miss your posts! So glad you are back. Your blog has really helped my training and mind set. I'm running my first half this Sunday (yikes) and had to stop training for 6 weeks (badly strained calf muscle with tears) - I'm nervous, the farthest I've run is 7 miles. Just wanted your thoughts on what to expect for a half. I know I can chug along and I don't want to back out of the half...Thanks! Can't wait for your training posts for the marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle! Thanks for the sweet comment. Are you still hurt? Did you get the okay from your doctor? That sounds so painful :(. The only advice I can give you is to relax. Easier said than done, I know but everyone I have talked to was so nervous before their first race and there is no reason to be. Just listen to your body! If you are hurting, don't push through it. Just walk for a while. Stretch a ton, and don't put too much stress on yourself as far as time goes. Remember you started training and you are doing this for fun, right? Please let me know how the race goes. I'm sure you will be fine. Thanks for reading.. I need you people to keep me accountable! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I need to chill out. Got the go ahead from the dr., I'm going to take it all in and just enjoy the moment. I am paranoid I won't finish and my pacing has been horrendous lately. Off to read your new post! THanks again, I really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's the best advice I have ever had.. just relax and take it in. I wouldn't worry about pacing or time AT ALL. Just have a blast. :)

    ReplyDelete